Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Monday, January 10, 2011

Norwex Cloths Worth the Cost

Environmentally friendly and easy to use
Jane Dunbar,
The Edmonton Journal

Sunday, April 13, 2008

I've tested a lot of cleaning products over the years for this column, and a few remain favourites. Here, just in time for spring cleaning, are some that deserve mentioning again.

One is Sponge Ups, which come in packs of three and still cost only $2.99 at Superstore. These biodegradable sponges are terrific for spills and can be laundered over and over. I often wonder when the first one will wear out so I can use the rest in the pack.

Another is Bounty Paper Towels, which are so durable they can be substituted for dish cloths. I use them when I'm concerned about food contamination. One sheet will wash up a stack of dirty pots and pans and wipe down the counter. Try that with any other paper towel.

Then there are the Norwex cloths that have no equals as far as I'm concerned.

It was Barb who told me about a line of cleaning products she sells for a company called Norwex and wanted me to try these anti-bacterial cloths. The company markets itself as environmentally friendly, as its products reduce the consumption of cleaning chemicals such as the ones we use in the bathrooms and kitchens. I was happy to test the blue microfibre Anti-bac Enviro Cloth and the silky Anti-bac Window Cloth.

It's been a year since I started using them, and I remain a satisfied customer.

Washing windows has always been one of the first spring projects I can't wait to get at. In the past I would wipe them off with soapy water and then spray them with Windex. The most important step was to polish to a streak and lint-free shine.

That not only took effort but it was essential to have the right cloth for the job.

I tried Windex Glass and Surface Disposable Pre-Moistened Wipes, which come in a sealed package of 25 for around $4. The results were exactly what I wanted, but one wipe doesn't go very far. It took two packages to do all my windows, leaving me feeling guilty when I saw how wasteful this was. I do however keep a package in my car, as they are ideal for touching up the inside windows and panels.

The Norwex cloths clean windows guilt-free as no soap or Windex is needed. Just warm water and the microfibre cloth is all it takes to get the dirt off and the window cloth shines them up.

I was fixated on clean windows when I first got them, but their ability to remove bacteria with just water has consigned them to more important chores.

I no longer spray my sink and bathtub with any disinfectant cleaner. A good scrubbing with my microfibre cloth and a rinse of water gets rid of soap scum and leaves them germ free.

I have a bottle of Scrub Free Oxy Complete, so I decided to give the tub a spray to see if it looked any better. I was quickly reminded why I stopped using cleaners when I inhaled the strong fumes and had to don rubber gloves to protect my skin. The results looked comparable, but as a bonus safety feature, the Norwex side was less slippery.

These strong cloths are made to withstand the rigours of everyday use for most tasks inside and outside the home. Toss in the washer and they come out looking as good as new. They are guaranteed for two years, but are made to last for 10.

Besides sparkling windows, when I use the window cloth on mirrors, granite countertops, stainless steel fixtures, appliances and mirrors, the results are dazzling.

Even though it's not touted as such, I've also used it as a duster. My other dust rags only pushed dust around without picking it up. I tried furniture oils and sprays, but they are expensive and seem to attract dust.
I've tried a few products like Vileda Disposable Dusters, and while the "electro static" does a great job picking up the dust, it also will not release it. That's why they're disposable.

The Norwex window cloth removes dust without any polishers or sprays. When I'm done cleaning, I either shake it clean or throw it in the wash.

There are other cloths in stores that sell for less than the approximately $20 you'll pay for each Norwex cloth, but it's hard to imagine getting anything that substantial for less.

They're a good investment if you have allergies, chemical sensitivities or just want to reduce the consumption of cleaning chemicals.

You can send comments or suggestions to Jane Dunbar at Buyline@live.ca.
© The Edmonton Journal 2008

Modern Green Clean - Your source for Norwex online! http://www.ModernGreenClean.com

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Modern Green Clean
View my complete profile

Pages